Monday, January 12, 2009

Lift for Week of 1-12-09

Following my last post, here's a lift for this week. Let me first say that programming (what exercises with what weights for what number of reps) is much harder with fewer lifts/work and as we get closer to the season, so these workouts may not be right for everybody. I'm aiming at the people who don't have extensive training backgrounds, since they need the most guidance. If you have questions let me know.

WOD
3-3-3 Back Squat -the weight should be ~10% heavier than what you did for 5-5-5
5-5-5 Bench Press

Squat Timing: For your squat go down in control for a slow 2 count (about 2 seconds) then explode up as powerfully and quickly as you can. Don't worry, this shouldn't be very fast with this much weight (as a reference I would probably take my 205 5-5-5 and do 225 3-3-3), but the act of trying to stand up quickly will help neuromuscular recruitment. Also make sure to give at least 3 minutes between sets, and 4+ is okay if you need it.

Here's the logic: doing only 3 reps with heavy weight (and if you feel like you could do a fourth rep in any set, then increase the weight) is that it teaches your entire body to contract your muscles more forcefully. Believe it or not the ability of you nervous system to tell your muscles to contract forcefully also increases as you train.

-Phys

16 comments:

  1. 4x5 Lying Machine Squat 300,320,320,340
    4x5 Angled Leg Press 340,360,360,380
    4x5 Leg Extension 220,240,240,240
    4x5 Seated Leg Curl 200
    4x10 Standing Calf Raise 320, 360, 380, 380
    4x5 Dumbbell shoulder Press 60, 55, 55, 55
    4x5 Lateral Raise 25
    4x5 Overhead Machine Press 140,150,150,150

    Hanging Leg Raises 3x35
    Crunches 3x35

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4x5 Bench Press 190, 195, 195, 200
    4x5 Dumbbell Press 70, 75, 75, 75
    4x5 Decline Bench Press 185, 185, 190, 195
    4x5 Incline Bench Press 135, 140, 135, 140 (got buried once on one set, that's why I dropped the weight, but I figured out it was more a mental barrier than physical)

    4x5 French Press 60, 60, 60, 60
    4x5 Tricep Cable Pushdown 80, 80, 80, 80

    3x35 Hanging Leg Raises
    3x35 Crunches

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a slow recovery run today (probably ~2-3 miles) while Artur and Turk were running the Crazy 8's. Also did upper body and ab workout:

    Bench press: 3x6@115
    Pecs: 3x10@30
    Upright rows: 3x10@55
    Triceps: 3x12@65 (converts to 32.5 for machine I usually use)
    Seated rows: 3x10@80
    Curls: 3x10@30

    Bicycles: 16-17-18-20
    Sit-ups: 20-21-22-25

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 mile: 6:50
    1 mile: 7:30
    100 crunches
    100 sit ups
    50 push ups
    6x3 pullups

    Used various other machines, but they weren't free weights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did a bunch of upper body work; shoulders, biceps, etc. Not worth posting.

    Bench press - 3x5, 205-205-205

    Did not do legs due to knee pain. Can't make practice today so will try to do legs today instead.

    Reid

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thursday: Did WOTD (Back Squats). Weights were 175-195-195. Also did basically the same lower body lifts as last time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saturday:

    Upper body workout (chest/shoulder/biceps/triceps/back)

    3x8xtabata rowing, held 98 +- 2 m on 1st, 95 +- 2m on 2nd, 91 +- 4 m on 3rd.

    2 hours dancing, 2 miles light jog.

    Reid

    ReplyDelete
  8. Friday:

    4x5 Seated Cable Row: 160,160,170,170
    4x5 Cable Pulldown: 130,130,140,140
    4x5 Bent Over Dumbbell Row: 70
    4x5 Assisted Pullups
    4x5 Alternating Dumbbell Curl 40
    4x5 Cable Curls 30,30,40,40

    3x40 Hanging Leg Raises
    3x35 Crunches

    ReplyDelete
  9. 4x5 Lying Machine Squat 300,320,320,320
    4x5 Angled Leg Press 360,380,410,410
    4x5 Leg Extension 220,240,240,240
    4x5 Seated Leg Curl 200
    4x10 Seated Calf Raise 135
    4x5 Dumbbell shoulder Press 55, 60, 60, 60
    4x5 Lateral Raise 25
    4x5 Overhead Machine Press 150, 150, 160, 160

    3x40 Hanging Leg Raises
    3x35 Crunches

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sunday:

    5x50 airsquats, 3 mins rest. 250 pushups (alternated 50 squats/50 pushups during the rest). 9 minute abs.

    Raucous cheering during the Steelers game... probably counts as a jumping set, if I were doing the scoring *wink wink*

    Reid

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saturday:

    Did a core workout. Don't really remember exactly what I did but it was about half the things as the following:

    Monday:

    Core workout:
    50 crunches
    50 side crunches x2
    40 supermans
    3:00 plank stuff
    50 pushups
    50 flutter kicks
    30 v-sits
    30 partner kickups
    plank stuff for 6:00

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tuesday - track workout

    3x400 - held about 71/72
    4x200 - held 32
    4x55 - got beat by Jordan/Entz on all but 1 of them, where I tied.

    - Reid

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saturday - track workout with Reid

    3x400 78/78/76
    4x200 34/34/34/34
    3x(40/40) didn't keep track of time, but was about half to three fourths of a second behind Reid each time

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1/23-25: 6 hours of snowboarding each day
    1/17-18: leiout 2 day beach tournament.
    1/8,9,11,14: 30 min trail running. 3x15 ab exercises
    12/21, 12/30, 1/2: 30 min exercise bike. 3x10 biceps, lats, chest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 3/4/09 -- did a track workout today at the same time as Entz.

    I did 4 sets of 2 200s (ran hard for 200m, then really slow jog for 200m, then ran hard for 200m). I didn't keep super-close track of my times, but they varied between 33 and 37, except one time when I went over 40 on the second 200.

    ReplyDelete
  16. By 3/4/09 I meant 3/3/09. I'm stupid.

    ReplyDelete