Now that we've started doing track workouts as well as practice and (hopefully) other workouts, I want to post a few comments about programming/scheduling your workouts.
General Advice
1) SLEEP! You absolutely must sleep if you want to improve. Especially during IAP when you don't have (much) class or (much) homework you need to get 8 hours of sleep/night so your body has time to recover. I'm not telling you to go to bed at 11pm, I'm just saying don't go to bed at 4am unless you can sleep until noon.
2) Hydrate. Being dehydrated will make it hard for your body to repair itself and for you to workout well. Drink lots of water (especially if you're going to drink).
3) Records. Keep track of your weights/times so you can compare and see improvement.
4) Rest. You need to give your muscles time to rest/recover after working out. This leads me to...
Scheduling
Because we have to let our muscles recover we have to be smart about how we work out. We have 2 fixed exercise days: Tues/Thurs practice. This should be a workout, but it shouldn't be so hard that you're very sore the next day. For the purpose of trying to schedule things I'm going to count these as neutral days; not rest days, but not work days either. Here are 2 possible schedules I think can work:
Su rest
M track
T practice
W rest
R practice
F track
Sa lift
Su rest
M track
T practice
W lift
R practice
F rest
Sa track
I think either of these should work, and you should be able to throw in a small amount of jogging or cross-training on practice days. These both give you only one lifting day per week, but track workouts should do a lot to make your legs stronger, so it should be ok. This also means that I'll probably only post 1 lifting workout per week, maybe with some other conditioning workouts that can be done in the gym. If you want me to post more lifts/week let me know.
If you're getting enough sleep, generally aren't sore, and feel like you need an extra push, then you could modify the second schedule to lifting on T/R with practice and making W a rest day. I don't recommend doing a track workout the day after a hard lift until later in the season when we're more trained.
-Phys
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment